|Squadron 188 classroom, prior to the start of the meeting|
Welcome to the guests that were present at the All Hands meeting, including Capt Russ Kipp, an airline pilot and CAP member visiting from FLWG.
|From left to right: Lt Bob Adams, Lt Col Dennis Matarrese, |
Capt Chris Fenolio, Capt Doug Ramsey, Capt Russ Kipp
This month we had 2 safety updates!
|Mr Denny discussing the|
fragility of seabird eggs
|Mr Denny showing a map of the Greater Farallones|
National Marine Sanctuary
Maj Steven DeFord gave a presentation on medications and their effects on flying. Key points included:
- Review the FARs on medications and alcohol use with respect to flying!
- Effects of various drugs/medications
- Some surprising medications that can affect your ability to fly, including over-the-counter medications
- Sleep deprivation and its similarity to alcohol, in terms of impairment
- Some discussion about pharmacokinetics – how drugs and alcohol are processed in your body
Squadron Monthly Recap
|Lt Pat Bitz providing another great |
aerospace moment for our membership.
Promotions, Ratings and Professional Development
- Maj Mark Fridell’s new Mission Observer (MO) rating
- Lt Karin Hollerbach’s completion of the Officer Basic Course and Level II
- 2d Lt Tim Roberts’ promotion to 1st Lt
- 2d Lt Terry Baldwin’s new Mission Scanner (MS) rating
- 2d Lt Scott Booth’s renewed MO rating
Thank you for squadron members who supported CAP in completing our WMAO duty in this round (during which 3 SoCal missions were initiated):
- Maj Steven DeFord
- Capt Jordan Hayes
- Lt Eric Choate
- Lt Karin Hollerbach
Thanks to all who attended the holiday party in December (click here for more info).
|Lt Terry Baldwin (L) and Lt Bob Adams (R) replacing epaulets for |
Lt Tim Roberts' romotion ceremony; Capt Jordan Hayes (Back L)
and Capt Lou Rivas (Back R) look on.
Group 2 increased its collective expertise and readiness to handle search and rescue (SAR) and disaster relief (DR) activities in December, completing another successful Basic SAREX, held at KRHV, in which the following Squadron 188 members participated:
- Maj Steven DeFord, Incident Commander 3 Trainee (IC3-T)
- Maj Mark Fridell, Mission Pilot (P)
- Maj Jeff Ironfield, MP
- Maj Maggie Wang, Urban Direction Finder (UDF)
- Capt Kathy Brown, Finance/Administration Section Chief (FASC)
- Capt Don Eichelberger, MP
- Capt Jordan Hayes, Logistics Section Chief (LSC)
- Lt Tim Roberts, UDF
- Lt Alexei Roudnev, UDF
- Lt Terry Baldwin, MS
- Lt Scott Booth, MO
More exciting training events are coming up in January and February. If you are interested in attending any of these training events, please contact the Project Officers for more info, and look for emails with registration information.
- 14-15 Jan NorCal Squadron Leadership School (SLS)/ Corporate Learning Course (CLC) at Travis, Group 2 Project Officer Maj Maggie Wang, Group 5 Project Officer Lt Col Andrew Peters
- 12-Feb Airborne Photography (AP) Ground School (at KOAK), Project Officer Lt Karin Hollerbach
- 25-26 Feb AP DREX (at KOAK), Project Officer Lt Karin Hollerbach